Developmental Steps for C/O Chapter
Provisional Membership Requirements
1. Establish Commitment
- Contact national and state C/O organizations.
- Seek community support.
- Establish planning committee.
- Conduct needs assessment.
- Inform key community leaders.
2. Establish Program Mission
- Develop a mission statement consistent with National C/O Standards.
3. Establish Program Framework
- Determine administrative structure.
- Determine model of advocacy.
- Determine volunteer and staffing needs.
4. Create Program Infrastructure
If administrative structure is nonprofit:
- Create a board of directors.
For all programs:
- Define and assign responsibility for governance and financial management.
- Determine liability risks and ensure statutory protection.
- Establish goals and timelines.
5. Plan Resource Development Strategy
- Assess financial need.
- Create initial budget.
- Identify potential funders.
- Develop fundraising plan.
- Seek funding.
Full Membership Requirements
6. Develop Human Resource Policies
- Determine program director qualifications.
- Develop job description.
- Establish policies and procedures for recruitment, screening and selection of program director.
7. Build External Relations
- Develop public awareness materials in compliance with National C/O graphic standards.
- Speak to civic and community organizations regarding need for volunteers and resources.
8. Initiate Program Operations
- Secure funding.
- Establish office.
- Complete development of personnel policies and procedures.
9. Implement Volunteer Program
- Develop volunteer policies and procedures.
- Recruit and screen volunteers.
- Conduct pre-service training.
- Arrange swearing-in.
- Assign cases.
- Supervise volunteers.
- Create a plan for required volunteer in-service training.
This outline provides brief general guidance only. National C/O provisional and full membership will be considered after satisfactory completion of the application, including submission of the required Indicators of Compliance and payment of dues. Before granting membership, NationalC/O will communicate with your state C/O organization (if one exists) regarding the status of your program. Please call National C/O at (585) -9858 if you have questions.